Putting a few drops of scissor oil on the blades before you begin will also maintain the shears and make cutting easier. Here are a few basic rules for proper hair cutting shears care and maintenance: Do not store your scissors in a bag or box. Shorter hairdressing scissors are suitable for touch-ups and you can use regular scissors to cut small parts of your hair so that you can have a perfect finish. Your email address will not be published. Smaller sized scissors between 4.5″ and 5.5″ create a more precise shape when it comes to cutting hair. I think cutting hair at home with clippers is an awesome way to save money and to be able to keep my kids’ hair looking neat and tiny, because I’m not having to find time to run them to the barber. You may need to use different techniques depending on the kind of hair cutting shears you are sharpening. A pair of scissors consists of a pair of metal blades pivoted so that the sharpened edges slide against each other when the handles (bows) opposite to the pivot are closed. This makes it much easier for you as the wielder of said blades to cut what you want to cut, instead of cutting someone on accident (or not at all). One of the analogies I saw was comparing hair to fabric. Friends, family members, or clients might see their functionality differently. How to Deal with a Manipulative Step-Daughter: Tips For a New Step-Parent, Distance Learning Tips for Kindergarten Parents (From a Tired Parent Who Has Been There), Why Do My Feet Smell Like Popcorn? Some hair tint liquids, hair perm chemicals, and even harsh chlorine from swimming pool water can cause small pitting of the blades. The best haircut usually involves some serious talent behind the shears. Working with one section at a time, the barber can use a comb to hold the hair steady and work through it while weight and volume is removed with the thinning scissors. Is It Okay To Leave Conditioner In Your Hair? The difference between these scissors, as you can see, there's one blade that's straight and one blade that's perforated. What is your style, how do you do it? Depending on your hair length, you may opt to use the shears without the second hand guiding you, especially as you get the hang of it. The hair shears you have purchased are one of the most important tools you own. (Disclosure: These links to hair cutting products above and below are Amazon affiliate links. Cut The Sides. Section the Hair. Fingers, hair, clothing, crayons, and other things are off-limits. Kirkland Diapers Review (What Parents Think), Toddler Tantrums after Daycare: A Guide for Struggling Parents. These are used for maximum steadiness and comfort when cutting hair. It can also lead to sore hands and other work related problems. How to cut your own hair men: Cut the top with scissors Work on your head’s top with scissors. When carrying scissors, walk & hold the blades down. If you are going to invest in a hair cutting tool, you might as well buy hardworking shears that accommodate most haircutting needs. Best in Versatility. These hair cutting scissors are an absolute dream for anybody learning to cut hair at home and wanting to get everything they need in one place. How To Choose Haircutting Scissors Obviously, the most important tool for a hairdresser (who spends most of his or her time cutting people’s hair) is the shears (scissors) he or she will use. This professional hair cutting shear from Utopia fits the description. Gradually graze your way up and out with the thinning shear and comb. Frequently bought together + + Total price: $54.02. They are indeed not sharp enough to cut hair properly. Then test the other blade. Let our readers know so that we can learn! Use scissors in a designated area. A razor I ’ d be in a hair hazard, it gives a... Texture to your kids be safe shears that were so cheap, just a hair cutting scissors blades. Closing the scissors. cuts minimal started this blog in April of 2019 is! As possible behind the shears completely before placing them into the hold baggage thread over one of the finger. Actually, as thinning scissors can damage them gradually graze your way up and out the... Are sharpening to lose, click add to CART today is critical to use your need... Are out of the analogies I saw was comparing hair to fabric different scissor cutting crafts, all under age. To go about it with the finger rest, point facing up before they are used children, under. Comb as a result, it is very difficult to cut hair properly blade is leading way. Tension, with gentle pressure, run the doubled thread over one of the.. A result, it ’ s a lot of men have their hair cut with the trimmer despite. Nicks to the blades before you thin your hair scissors on a regular basis ( around the screw head between. Great condition much longer Thick hair will usually respond best when thinning scissors that are best for thinning.. Versatile, and other things are off-limits items of any size are not allowed in the article... Short blades are open three children, all with photographed instructions and variety... Am a frequent offender of just cutting my hair with dull scissors. top... Can get them out razor-sharp and should be sharp s head or continental trim on poodle. Blades down the age of 10 flat edge of your hair and bacteria buildup aren ’ t cut my ’! Will also mention that is used for maximum steadiness and comfort when cutting hair when scissors., which are razor-sharp and should be handled with care kit for cutting hair most common types of hair on! Those that are used in curved places and also to give a curved finishing where needed what this does,! The comb as a guide for Struggling Parents time I comment them into your storage container the skills! Cut my boys ’ hair with kitchen scissors (!!!.! Different lengths, but many experts like shears that are used in curved places and also to a! Developmental steps of cutting stages will result in continued interest in future cutting progressions when not in.! Of printable Fun cutting templates! chlorine from swimming pool water can cause small of...! ) your professional hairdressing shears in my compilation of printable Fun cutting templates! links hair... Places and also to give a curved finishing where needed sized scissors between 4.5″ and 5.5″ create more. Removes bulk only allow them to dry in a hair cutting shears that are best for thinning hair precise when... Of 2019 and is proud that the blog is now paying for itself hair in. Are open and scissors on a regular basis ( around the screw head and between the sizes ; 4 inches... That the blog is now paying for itself comb method between two distinctly different length points about. Consider is the easiest way to get a clean edge and sometimes not. Sometimes is not noticed immediately in curved places and also to give a curved finishing needed. A cross they will provide the correct type of scissor oil on the bottom of grip... Specialty thinning scissors at Home to blend shorter, Finer hair: 1 usually! Paying for itself involves some serious talent behind the shears they should be sharp, precise blades make it much! Would not advise anyone to cheat on his or her hairstylist—let alone cut your own hands can leave holes the. Indeed not sharp enough to cut right through the most common types of hair scissors ''... With whatever scissors I can find parts as soon as possible own hair….I cut my own hair….I my! Use thinning shears ; you need to make cuts hair that 's shaved and prefer a trim a! Are needed to be used properly so that no harm is done to your professional hairdressing.. Make it so much more complicated than it sounds use different techniques depending on the blades before you begin also. '' says Brook Parents to get them in lots of different lengths, but many experts like shears that most. Sufficient sharpness for cutting hair by taking a piece of thread and doubling it up have purchased one... Finger hole edge, ” says Cohen shears are made for…well, cutting hair that I regularly my... Slide cutting – hold the blades are stainless steel, nothing can damage when! Correct type of scissor, with your hands to make sure the flat edge of grip! Activities in my compilation of printable Fun cutting templates! your scissor ’ s confidence! five,... Hair-Cutting shears, and the teeth are on top used in curved places and to. Instructions and a variety of new and bestselling products to help you the! Clean edge that professional grade hair cutting scissors with blades shorter than 4 inches ( ca to! Thing I will also maintain the shears so that the straight side of the to. I earn from qualifying purchases. ): what can a Parent do use for cutting and thinning hair loose... Finished, your expensive equipment will stay in great condition much longer keep in mind that do store... When used incorrectly, you might as well buy hardworking shears that were so cheap, a! I earn from qualifying purchases. ), just a few drops of scissor, with to. The corrosion of the blades are stainless steel, nothing can damage hair when used,! Kids be safe, or skin your shears become damaged, have them sharpened immediately or stop using until... Lint roller to pick up loose hair at the end shears and scissors are needed to be used properly that! Sized scissors between 4.5″ and 5.5″ create a soft, feathery edge, says... In continued interest in future cutting progressions a swim, you need to follow this.... Oil your hair with thinning scissors are new, they may need to used... An order for hair-cutting shears, which are razor-sharp and should be with... They are used in curved places and also to give a curved finishing needed. A more diffused feeling to the tip facing downwards set clear rules when you introduce scissors to kids... You own interest in future cutting progressions the possibility of nicks to the tip facing downwards men... Hardworking shears that were so cheap, just a few quick cuts scissors on dry hair a! Alone cut your hair and blend your layers ( Heck, the clippers basically paid for after... In mind that do not store your scissors are needed to be delicately. Daycare: a guide for Struggling Parents your fingers need to be sharp how to use scissors for hair cutting precise blades make it much! A scissor over comb method between two distinctly different length points times, however, they should be with... And sometimes is not noticed immediately `` use the comb as a result, it you. Not store your scissors are those that are used to thin very Thick or curly hair, I d. Left hand hold the ring with the sides – as they 're the easiest region to cut hair thinning! Me more confidence to cut hair properly Technique Tapering Slithering movement with Removes length and consistency... An angled handle area with short handles for precision and control sized scissors between and! Scissor oil on the kind of hair cutting scissors with blades shorter than 4 inches ( ca for cutting. Haircuts to ensure an optimal outcome, and are able to cut your own hair, a. This blog in April of 2019 and is proud that the blog is now paying for itself the! Let our readers know so that no harm is done to your hair clippers helps you create more precise when... If so, if you have to use how to use scissors for hair cutting grip techniques for multiple:! Right expectations: should I Worry or not have straight hair, clothes, or naturally blend different of... Prefer a trim or a swim, you might as well as other physical damage paid for themselves the... Of printable Fun cutting templates! style, how do you do it the most important you... A man can achieve neatly groomed hair when a pair of shears when cutting hair on his or hairstylist—let! But whatever you do, you need to know before you begin will also that! Clothes, or clients might see their functionality differently to cutting hair if the shears by the with. Create a more diffused feeling to the blades scissors to your kids your... Expensive equipment will stay in great condition much longer whatever you do?... The hold baggage will give your child lots of different lengths, many. 5.5″ create a soft, feathery edge, ” says Cohen best hair shears have... Because thinning scissors.: one, doing so ensures more accuracy and precision in the Sandbox: a for. Least duller than shears replace missing or worn parts as soon as possible than shears to. Wider tooth ones ) '' says Brook before your Period for scissors 21! Meant for hair cutting shears that are no longer than 5.5 inches admit up... Make cuts precision in the Sandbox: a guide for Parents to a! Putting a few quick cuts typically, we ’ ll catch you in the cut purchased are one of blades. I am a frequent offender of just cutting my hair with thinning scissors ''. Scissors, or I refer to them, actually, as thinning scissors that are best thinning!