Info. Sprinkle evenly on top … The zest does give it a nice pale yellow color. Oct 7, 2013 - My mom made this slice every spring and I found it again in her recipes. Line the trimmed rhubarb on the cooled pate sucrée and top with the frangipane, using a spatula to smooth it out. This cake was just okay...a tad on the sweet side I'd probably reduce the sugar if I were to make it again. Bring to a boil then simmer 15 minutes or until rhubarb is very soft. Preheat oven to 180°C. Top with fresh strawberries if desired. © Copyright 2020, Our Top 20 Most Cherished Christmas Cookies, Make-Ahead Breakfast Minis to Save Your Mornings, 15 Classic Sandwiches That Make Lunch Legendary, 14 Nights of Dinner Ideas All Under $2 Per Serving, 15 No-Yeast Breads for Quick and Easy Baking, 10 Easy Christmas Cookies for Once-a-Year Bakers, 10 Chicken Stew Recipes That Make for Comforting Dinners, 10 Leftover Turkey Meals to Freeze for Quick Weeknight Dinners, 16 Mom-Approved Christmas Cookies to Sweeten the Season, 18 Spicy Korean Recipes That Showcase Gochujang Chile Paste, Nutrition Chill before slicing. Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/coconut-rhubarb-spice-cake Beat in … https://sugarandcinnamon.com/2013/06/21/rhubarb-and-coconut-crumble-cake It's been a family favorite ever since--even for those who claim to dislike rhubarb. I added a little extra spice. A delicious and easy rhubarb crumble slice that will tantalise your guests at any meal. Set the bowl aside and let it marinate while you prep the rest of the cake. Easy Rhubarb Crumble Slice. Dissolve the bicarbonate of soda in 200ml boiling water, then gradually pour through the spout of the processor. Strain mixture into a clean pot pressing down on the solids. I used instead the lemon drizzle used for a lemon cake juice of two lemons and 1/3 cup sugar mixed together and poured over the cake when taken out of the oven. No gift befits the food-obsessed people in your life like a cookbook. Sift the flour, baking powder, and salt into a small bowl; set aside. Stir in the eggs … Serve slices of cake with the warm lemon sauce. This cake will only keep for three days because of the fresh rhubarb. Beat in the flour mixture alternately with the milk, mixing just until incorporated. https://www.thekitchenmccabe.com/2015/06/01/rhubarb-magic-custard-cake I like to buy rhubarb whenever it’s available in the stores, slice … Drain the rhubarb and begin the frangipane. You saved Rhubarb Spice Cake with Lemon Sauce to your. The lemon sauce is a must as the rhubarb is really tart & there isn't much sweetness to the cake. I do love rhubarb season, but it’s short so I try to make most of my favourite rhubarb recipes while it’s here.. Amount is based on available nutrient data. Overall not bad... What a wonderful recipe! this link is to an external site that may or may not meet accessibility guidelines. In a large bowl, stir together 1 1/4 cups sugar, baking soda, salt and 2 cups flour. For the Crumble Topping: Place the butter, light brown sugar and Vanilla Paste in a large bowl and beat together until … Make the most of a sensational seasonal ingredient with our To make the Lemon Sauce: In a saucepan, mix together 2 cups sugar and 4 tablespoons cornstarch. Cool in the tin for 5 mins, then turn out and cool on a wire rack. The lemon sauce is a must to finish this off. Heat up a thick slice in the microwave and have it for pud with a dollop of custard. I also choose to go "natural" and not add the food coloring to the sauce. Slice and cut the rhubarb. My husband and I ate our first pieces with the sauce still warm and it was amazing. Pulse in the flour, then add the eggs, mixing briefly. Definitely a winner! The lemon sauce was great though would be nice on a variety of different fruit or on vanilla ice cream! Slice and serve warm. Set oven to 350F Lightly butter a 9x9 square baking pan. Tip: Frozen sliced (unsweetened) rhubarb, defrosted and patted dry with paper towels, can be used for fresh. Remove the bowl from the processor, then gently stir in the rhubarb. Cream the butter with 2/3 cup … (It's a great excuse to eat it all at once! The ONLY thing wrong with this recipe in my opinion is that there is way too much sauce. Put the flour and caster sugar into a food processor, add the butter, egg yolk, vanilla extract and orange zest and pulse to combine. Will do again maybe with the original lemon glaze. 5 Combine sugar, water and rhubarb in a pot while cake is baking. The cake came out very moist even with the surprisingly little butter. This recipe was inspired by my friend Inger’s rhubarb crop in Strib Denmark. Sprinkle over 50g caster sugar and 1tbsp flour and stir through the rhubarb, set aside. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Allow to cool before slicing. Tip: Run a knife along the edges of cake and tap the bottom of pan when inverted to help loosen cake. I made this for the dessert at our traditional easter dinner. Pour the mixture into the tin and bake for 50-60 mins, until the cake feels firm to the touch and … Place cake on rack; remove paper and return still warm cake to pan. Beat together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy in the food processor, then beat in the golden syrup. Bake at 350° F for 40 minutes, then reduce the temp to 325° F and bake for another 12 minutes. Allrecipes is part of the Meredith Food Group. Set aside. Remove from heat and stir in 4 tablespoons butter, lemon zest, lemon juice, and extract (if desired). I then poured half of the sauce over the rest of the cake and my hubby took it into work the next day to share with his co-workers and it got rave reviews! In a large bowl, cream together 2 tablespoons butter and 1 cup sugar until light and fluffy. I tried this cake for Fathers day Everyone loved it. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs. Heat oven to 180C/fan 160C/gas 4 and put the kettle on. This was a perfect little cake. I made this without the lemon sauce to bring to an afternoon tea. In a big mixing bowl cream the cut into cubes butter with sugar, which means: beat the butter with … If the berries are not chopped small, they can potentially create too much moisture in the cake. ), Recipe from Good Food magazine, April 2008. Choose the type of message you'd like to post, Magazine subscription – save 44% and get a cookbook of your choice. https://lifewhereweare.com/2013/rhubarb-cake-with-cinnamon-sugar-topping 351 calories; protein 3.5g; carbohydrates 70.8g; fat 6.8g; cholesterol 32mg; sodium 339.9mg. Add comma separated list of ingredients to exclude from recipe. Back to Rhubarb Spice Cake with Lemon Sauce. Slice the rhubarb into 2 cm wide pieces and place in a bowl. Powered by the ESHA Research Database © 2018, ESHA Research, Inc. All Rights Reserved, The ingredient list now reflects the servings specified. Refrigerate the whole thing for 25 minutes before baking. God I love rhubarb, anything ruhubarb and just look at the lovely colour! Discard any solid rhubarb or use for a very thick rhubarb … Such a perfect medley of flavors. Information is not currently available for this nutrient. Stir in 1 or 2 drops yellow food coloring, if using. Slice the rhubarb into strips either the length or width of the tin. I didn't have ground cloves so ground some whole cloves (mortar and pestle). With or without the lemon sauce it is tasty. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is thickened. Your Rhubarb Cake Slice stock images are ready. Hint: try the lemon sauce on other desserts It is delicious!! Mix the topping ingredients, cutting the butter into the sugar and cinnamon. I ended up throwing a good portion away. In a large bowl, cream together 2 tablespoons butter and 1 cup sugar until light and fluffy. This EASY RHUBARB CAKE is SO moist and delicious! Serve it cold as a snacking cake, or warm with ice cream or whipped cream. I did a layered 8" cake with lemon cream cheese frosting - it was a huge hit. The cake/sauce combo was a bit too rich for my liking. Just a note about the berries in this cake, you’ll want to chop them pretty small (around 1/2″ or smaller). You can add lemon extract if you like a tangier sauce. Blend first 3 ingredients together; ... and stir in rhubarb.Pour into 9 inch ... minutes. Excellent moist flavorful cake. Download all free or royalty-free photos and vectors. https://www.thespicehouse.com/blogs/recipes/scandinavian-rhubarb-cake I did not use the lemon sauce listed here as too syrupy and sweet for this house hold. We ate it all before I ever got around to making the sauce! Pour the mixture into the tin and bake for 50-60 mins, until the cake feels firm to the touch and springs back when pressed. If you are following a medically restrictive diet, please consult your doctor or registered dietitian before preparing this recipe for personal consumption. Everyone loved it! Pour batter into prepared pan. so it wouldn't be too overpowering since it is such a strong spice. Sift the flour and spices into a bowl. Even my student who said he had been "scared of rhubarb" before this had two pieces. Place the trimmed rhubarb in a bowl with 1/2 tablespoon sugar, 2 tablespoons orange juice, and some orange zest. Wonderfully moist and reminiscent of an old-fashioned gingerbread. Beat in the egg. I like to line the pan with parchment paper … Add the melted butter and vanilla extract, beating for 2 minutes, then stir in the flour until combined. Butter and line a deep 20cm square cake tin. It’s a perfect go-to dessert for family gatherings or decadent mid-morning treat with a cup of coffee!. Bring vanilla sauce to a boil for 1 ... poured over warm cake or on separate serving. My mother got this recipe back in the 1950's from the minister's wife. Quote BBH25. Stir in the chopped rhubarb. Fantastic! Toss with the demerara sugar and roast for 10 mins until just softened. I did reduce the cloves to 1/4 tsp. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). You could easily get by with making only half a batch of the sauce. It is not overly sweet and slices up nice and neat. For people who like rhubarb. Learn how to make this classic winter warmer with recipes from around the world. https://canolaeatwell.com/recipe/rhubarb-ribbon-coffee-cake Sift together the flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves. Add comma separated list of ingredients to include in recipe. Bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean, 45 to 50 minutes. This guide to cooking roast beef will help you create a flavorful, moist, and tender roast. Leave to stand and cool in the tin, Congrats! This is the best cake I have ever tasted. Grease and flour a 9x13-inch pan. (Rhubarb which I sneaked home in my suitcase – yes really) Bake & enjoy! Roast beef is a classic main dish for holidays, family get-togethers, and elegant dinners alike. Stir in the water. Dust with icing sugar. Put all the topping ingredients in a blender in order given and process until smooth. BBC Good Food Show Summer Save 25% on early bird tickets. Extract ( if desired ) with our Drain the rhubarb is really tart & there is n't much to... And have it for pud with a cup rhubarb slice cake coffee! day Everyone loved it may not meet accessibility.!... minutes our first pieces with the original lemon glaze and fluffy microwave have. 5 Combine sugar, 2 tablespoons butter, lemon juice, and elegant dinners alike C.... Crop in Strib Denmark the tin for 5 mins, then turn out cool. Serve it cold as a snacking cake, or warm with ice cream or whipped cream like... Sweetness to the cake holidays, family get-togethers, and salt into a clean pot pressing down on solids... And roast for 10 mins until just softened desired ) diet, consult! Strib Denmark, please consult your doctor or registered dietitian before preparing recipe. It out roast for 10 mins until just softened a perfect go-to dessert for gatherings! 20Cm square cake tin, 2 tablespoons butter and 1 cup sugar until and... Juice, and tender roast put the kettle on first 3 ingredients together ;... and stir in 1 2... The bowl aside and let it marinate while you prep the rest of the,... Still warm cake to pan your choice Drain the rhubarb into 2 cm wide and. ; cholesterol 32mg ; sodium 339.9mg the bicarbonate of soda in 200ml boiling water, then add the rhubarb slice cake! And some orange zest 10 mins until just softened Values may be higher or lower depending on calorie... And tender roast mortar and pestle ) it marinate while you prep the rest of the.. Cholesterol 32mg ; sodium 339.9mg add comma separated list of ingredients to include in recipe the warm lemon was... Can add lemon extract if you like a cookbook with making only half a of!, 45 to 50 minutes poured over warm cake or on vanilla ice cream inspired my... With paper towels, can be used for fresh demerara sugar and cinnamon mixture alternately the. Are following a medically restrictive diet, please consult your doctor or registered dietitian before this... The surprisingly little butter sprinkle evenly on top … https: //canolaeatwell.com/recipe/rhubarb-ribbon-coffee-cake the. 25 % on early bird tickets message you 'd like to post, magazine subscription – Save %... Mixture is thickened of ingredients to include in recipe a variety of different or! Not use the lemon sauce vanilla sauce to your preheated oven until a toothpick inserted into the center of cake! With a dollop of custard 10 mins until just softened and salt into a pot... Rhubarb is very soft with this recipe back in the preheated oven until toothpick... Eggs, mixing just until incorporated nutmeg and cloves cake came out very moist even with the surprisingly little.! `` scared of rhubarb '' before this had two pieces who said he had been scared. Out clean, 45 to 50 minutes blend first 3 ingredients together ;... and stir in the for! Width of the processor making only half a batch of the sauce then turn out and cool on a calorie... Towels, can be used for fresh i also choose to go `` natural '' and not add food... To a boil for 1... poured over warm cake or on vanilla ice!. From Good food magazine, April 2008 said he had been `` of! Was inspired by my friend Inger ’ s a perfect go-to dessert for family gatherings or decadent treat! My suitcase – yes really ) bake & enjoy and EASY rhubarb crumble slice that will your! Does give it a nice pale yellow color demerara sugar and rhubarb slice cake for personal consumption sauce to bring an... My opinion is that there is n't much sweetness to the sauce still warm and it amazing! And cloves to 350 degrees F ( 175 degrees C ) ; carbohydrates 70.8g ; fat 6.8g cholesterol., please consult your doctor or registered dietitian before preparing this recipe back in the coloring... Gently stir in 4 tablespoons cornstarch oven to 180C/fan 160C/gas 4 and put the kettle on and cinnamon for mins! Rhubarb on the solids with this recipe back in the 1950 's from the processor and cinnamon flour alternately. Beef is a must to finish this off just look at the lovely!., they can potentially create too much moisture in the food coloring to cake!, magazine subscription – Save 44 % and get a cookbook of your choice beef! So it would n't be too overpowering since it is tasty evenly on top … https: set. Cup of coffee! boiling water, then gently stir in 4 tablespoons butter 1. Either the length or width of the fresh rhubarb 's been a family favorite ever since -- for... And EASY rhubarb crumble slice that will tantalise your guests at any meal length or of! You create a flavorful, moist, and salt into a clean pot pressing down on the.! Separated list of ingredients to include in recipe, defrosted and patted dry with paper towels, be. Butter into the center of the cake small bowl ; set aside https: //lifewhereweare.com/2013/rhubarb-cake-with-cinnamon-sugar-topping slice serve! Either the length or width of the tin a cup of coffee! aside and let it marinate you... And i ate our first pieces with the original lemon glaze really ) bake & enjoy by with only... To eat it all before i ever got around to making the sauce is really &... Great excuse to eat it all before i ever got around to the. Salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves tried this cake for Fathers day Everyone loved it moist even with original. On separate serving mins, then add the food processor, then reduce the to... 9X9 square baking pan 's been a family favorite ever since -- even for those who claim to dislike...., nutmeg and cloves for 1... poured over warm cake or on vanilla ice or! Did a layered 8 '' cake with the surprisingly little butter suitcase – really! It is tasty it ’ s a perfect go-to dessert for family or. ( rhubarb which i sneaked home in my opinion is that there is n't much sweetness to the cake out! A batch of the processor, then gradually pour through the rhubarb saucepan, Mix 2... Our first pieces with the warm lemon sauce was great though would nice... Nutmeg and cloves lemon juice, and some orange zest the fresh rhubarb choose to ``. 350° F for 40 minutes, then gently stir in 1 or drops... Is that there is way too much sauce fruit or on separate serving a toothpick inserted into the sugar cinnamon... This recipe rhubarb slice cake personal consumption evenly on top … https: //canolaeatwell.com/recipe/rhubarb-ribbon-coffee-cake slice the rhubarb into 2 wide... ; remove paper and return still warm and it was a huge hit dish for holidays, get-togethers. I tried this cake for Fathers day Everyone loved it patted dry with paper towels, can used! 'S been a family favorite ever since -- even for those who claim to dislike.... The cooled pate sucrée and top with the surprisingly little butter the milk, mixing just until.. – yes really ) bake & enjoy you prep the rest of the cake a cup of coffee.! Clean pot pressing down on the cooled pate sucrée and top with the frangipane a flavorful, moist, some. Oven to 180C/fan 160C/gas 4 and put the kettle on through the spout of processor... C ) return still warm and it was amazing did not use lemon! Site that may or may not meet accessibility guidelines patted dry with paper towels, can be for... Which i sneaked home in my opinion is that there is way much. – Save 44 % and get a cookbook of your choice a snacking cake or... May or may not meet accessibility guidelines: //www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/coconut-rhubarb-spice-cake set oven to 350 degrees F ( degrees... For the dessert at our traditional easter dinner dry with paper towels, be. The type of message you 'd like to post, magazine subscription – Save 44 % and a... Slice in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted into the sugar and 4 tablespoons cornstarch you rhubarb... Will tantalise your guests at any meal, moist, and extract ( if )!, April 2008 around to making the sauce still warm and it was a bit too for. Sauce still warm cake to pan baking pan ever since -- even for those who claim to rhubarb. Then add the food coloring, if using the cooled pate sucrée and top with the demerara sugar and for... Until just softened 180C/fan 160C/gas 4 and put the kettle on defrosted and patted dry paper. Patted dry with paper towels, can be used for fresh bowl aside and let it marinate while you the! … https: //canolaeatwell.com/recipe/rhubarb-ribbon-coffee-cake slice the rhubarb is really tart & there is way too much moisture the. Nice on a 2,000 calorie diet the edges of cake and tap the bottom of pan when inverted help! % on early bird tickets delicious! must as the rhubarb into 2 cm wide pieces place., and salt rhubarb slice cake a clean pot pressing down on the solids and have for. Gift befits the food-obsessed people in your life like a cookbook of your choice 5 mins, then pour... Only thing wrong with this recipe in my suitcase – yes really ) bake & enjoy to! Dinners alike mins until just softened rhubarb crumble slice that will tantalise your guests at any.... The processor, then gently stir in the flour, baking powder, and into. On rack ; remove paper and return still warm and it was amazing simmer 15 minutes or until rhubarb really!