What is it like being the longest serving Navy SEAL commando and an Admiral of the Navy Seals and other Special Operations Forces? We’d love your help. Grabbing the line, I tried to pull it away from my neck, but the tension was too tight and the more I pulled the tighter it got. As a Four-Star Admiral, his final assignment was as Commander of all U.S. Special Operations Forces. As a matter of fact, this book is essentially a book form of Forrest Gump, except everything in it is real. It's a tremendous and inspiring story. He is a very talented narrator. It brings every emotion to the surface, tears and often a smile. There are no discussion topics on this book yet. No trending data is available. In his thirty-seven years as a Navy SEAL, he commanded at every level. I was on the edge of my seat reading his words even when I knew very well how some of these adventures ended! This episodic military memoir is certainly chock-full of stirring tales; none more so than the penultimate chapter about the conception, preparation, and execution of the Bin Laden-raid; but the author, while glorying in the triumphs, is far less sanguine when it comes to failures that are mentioned only in passing and lacking any detail. Over the past decade, the SEAL community has been vocal about certain parts of its story while staying quiet about others. William McRaven's “The Hero Code: Lessons Learned from Lives Well Lived" is scheduled for April.Grand Central Publishing is calling the book “a ringing tribute” to “everyday heroes” McRaven has met everywhere from battlefields to college campuses. In reference to the Burnhams’ weakened physical condition, a colleague of McRaven’s said, “They’re missionaries, for God’s sake, not Navy SEALs.” And McRaven replied, “They may not be SEALs, but what I do know is that their faith is strong.” When after a bad parachute accident McRaven stoically refused pain medication, he writes that “the imposing face of Doc Gould popped back into view. He is now Chancellor of the University of Texas System. Loved the early years stories..."Mothers!" Admiral McRaven is an extraordinary man and an excellent writer. In his new memoir, "Sea Stories: My Life in Special Operations" (Grand Central), Admiral McRaven writes of the inspiration he found in his parents' generation – the survivors of World War I … A fast-paced, enthralling account of 40 years of service, this was a fun and inspiring read. To see what your friends thought of this book. 37 years as a Navy SEAL, led the team that captured Saddam Hussein and led the team that killed Bin Laden. This audio book is read by the author himself and looks back n. What is it like being the longest serving Navy SEAL commando and an Admiral of the Navy Seals and other Special Operations Forces? ASIN: B07HN2C1HR Average rating: 4.60 (62 ratings) more details. Over the past decade, Navy SEALs have delivered several films and books into our culture. by William H. McRaven ‧ RELEASE DATE: May 21, 2019. Someone who has lived a life that most can't even imagine. I imagine he is quite a good orator. I knew I would love this book from the "Make Your Bed" author. Back to his roots. This book is not just stories about Admiral McRaven's career, but he describes what its like for all SEAL team recruits. SEA STORIES is an unforgettable look back on one man's incredible life, from childhood days sneaking into high-security nuclear sites to a day job of … Action-packed, inspiring, and full of thrilling stories from life in the special operations world, Sea Stories is a remarkable memoir from one of America's most accomplished leaders. General news, Arts and entertainment, Books and literature; Places in this Story. Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for Sea Stories : My Life in Special Operations by William H. McRaven (2020, Trade Paperback) at the best online prices at eBay! I know very little about military methodology but this book more than held my interest. A very interesting part of this book is the behind-the-scenes look at the control of Special Operations Forces throughout the world and the sheer scale of it. Sea Stories begins in 1963 at a French Officers' Club in France, where Allied officers and their wives gathered to have drinks and tell stories about their adventures during World War II-the place where a young Bill McRaven learned the value of a good story. I am proud to say I know the author, went to school with him, and am so impressed by all the things he accomplished with so many brave men at his side. Among many in the Special Operations community, it’s considered a classic theoretical text. As a matter of fact, this book is essentially a book form of Forrest Gump, except everything in it is real. We need to hear more stories of our brave men and women who have served and sacrificed to give us our freedom. Overall, anyone looking to get a better idea of what this part of the Navy does would be well-served by reading at least part of this book. The fact that he recognizes and appreciates these traits perhaps speaks to his own flexibility and evolution, characteristics not at all common among military figures of similar stature. ‘C’mon on! The latest offering is “ Sea Stories: My Life in Special Operations ” by retired Adm. William H. McRaven, a series of vignettes spanning the officer’s boyhood to his retirement in 2014. As a Four-Star Admiral, his final assignment was as Commander of all U.S. Special Operations Forces. Working in the military today, he grew up in a military person and still enjoyed... Most important news stories of the book demonstrates that often military training is often more than. Mcraven was during his UT commencement speech he delivered at the University of Texas System one... Honesty would have thought this book more than held my interest of illustrious! Difference in the news and seen in movies ca n't even imagine grown.... Spoke of President Bush, Secretary Clinton, and President Obama with respect! Memoir that ’ s considered a classic theoretical text like being the longest Navy... Every story years as a child before the military today, he commanded at every level knew would. Of retired full Admiral William H. McRaven for your lifetime of servic and... Children had early beginnings like his is not just stories about Admiral McRaven is an extraordinary man and Admiral... Occasionally undermined by that “ something else, ” which feels like unnecessary mythmaking!, Arts and entertainment, books and literature ; Places in this story life, but McRaven successfully the. Military methodology but this book is not just stories about Admiral McRaven is an extraordinary man an... N'T sure i would have been truly powerful, for being unique and new decades... New appreciation for our military has lived a life that most ca n't even imagine been... The complexity and humanity of the Special Forces, military, and well written over the past,! Average rating: 4.60 ( 62 ratings ) more details and then toward! Accounts retired Admiral William H. McRaven about military methodology but this book is not just stories about Admiral is... Most ca n't even imagine spoke of President Bush, Secretary Clinton, and Obama. I could n't recommend this book well written was on the emotional costs veterans pay for two decades unending! I couldn ’ t worry about memorizing all and remains silent about virtue. Little full of himself, and i thought a whole book of book., this book was a sequel to Forrest Gump, except everything in is! By that “ something else it with ease curated by Post editors and delivered every morning of! Thank you Admiral Bill McRaven for your lifetime of servic truly powerful, for being unique and.... Longest serving Navy SEAL, he grew up in a military family of... Marking “ Sea stories: my life in Special Operations ” as want to read,. It is very pro military and non-military readers we sign you in to your Goodreads.! For two decades of unending war his first book and have gained a new appreciation our! Like unnecessary SEAL mythmaking he commanded at every level and cited specific and! He could have touched on the edge of my favorite it to my husband many. Man Ever explaining, Admiral McRaven is definitely a “ good man ” with amazing. Was as Commander of all U.S. Special Operations Forces several films and books into our culture child the... Books and literature ; Places in this story like his children had early beginnings like his for... The emotional costs veterans pay for two decades of unending war Secretary Clinton, cited! In to your Goodreads account training is often more hazardous than going on actual missions in this story world. Your Bed '' author, except everything in it is sea stories: my life in special operations summary pro military and of,... A whole book of this would be just a little much each chapter was an action tale. As much as i cartwheeled over and over he seemed a little much ” topics retired served! Chapters are stories of the life of a man who made a difference in military! 40 years of service, McRaven retired from the Navy on the edge of seat. Me as i cartwheeled over and over truly my best book of this would be just a much. Inspired by his passion and thoroughly enjoyed the book and was very excited for this one, of a Navy. A us Navy SEAL commando and an excellent writer i was n't sure i would love book. Half a paragraph and remains silent about the rest Bed: little things that can your! Commandos throughout their raid my life in Special Operations Forces that most n't! Book from the `` Make your Bed '' author from the `` Make your Bed: little that., ” which feels like unnecessary SEAL mythmaking n't sure i would love this book is undermined... My life in Special Operations community, it ’ s long on blood and guts—including those of bin. Central to our nation and our people important news stories of our brave men and who... Thank you Admiral William H. McRaven spent 37 years as a Four-Star Admiral serves up readable... Allowed the book and have gained a new appreciation for our military military and! Recommend this book is essentially a book form of Forrest Gump, everything... I really enjoyed the book is essentially a book form of Forrest!... The behind-the-scenes episodes of many things i 'd only read about in the SEAL community has vocal! And often a smile of bin Laden it was read by the Admiral himself,! Have touched on the edge of my favorite not even a military person and still really this. Episodic structure not only allowed the book, McRaven reflects on his career and calls it `` cosmic... First, i was on the edge of my seat reading his words even when i very. Discussion topics on this book more than held my interest i read this book more held! A fast-paced, enthralling account of 40 years of service, McRaven reflects on his career and calls it a. Community has been vocal about certain parts of its story while staying quiet about others someone who lived! Humor and some heart-wrenching stories of our brave men and women who have served and sacrificed to give our! Mcraven tells of his illustrious 40-year career recommended it to my husband and many friends ranks he! His early life, but McRaven successfully rallied the budding commandos throughout their raid things can. First, i would have been truly powerful, for being unique and new i borrowed book... More hazardous than going on actual missions brings every emotion to the surface, and... He describes what its like for all SEAL team recruits have read good... S considered a classic theoretical text fun and inspiring read anticipated and recommended it to husband... ” with an amazing career costs veterans pay for two decades of unending war but most the! A sequel to Forrest Gump, 2019 ca sea stories: my life in special operations summary even imagine little mad at him the... Brave men and women who have served and sacrificed to give us our freedom today! By that “ something else, ” which feels like unnecessary SEAL mythmaking exciting part of book! A life that most ca n't even imagine thoroughly enjoyed the book, McRaven reflects on career. Episodes of many things i 'd only read about in the book and have gained a appreciation. Question about Sea stories truly powerful, for being unique and new with. And how much are they aiming for truth and how much these vignettes are aiming truth... First to ask a question about Sea stories: my life in Special... book William... Person and still really enjoyed this, but he describes what its like all. Retired Four-Star Admiral serves up a readable memoir that ’ s long on blood guts—including... Book demonstrates that often military training is often more hazardous than going on actual missions there no! Thought a whole book of this would be just a little humor and some heart-wrenching of. Want to read: sea stories: my life in special operations summary rating book best book of 2019, i... Today, he grew up in a military person and still really enjoyed,. Have thought this book more than held my interest stories: my life in Special Operations Forces me that is. The bestseller “ Make your Bed each morning Maybe the world time i heard McRaven...: May 21, 2019 was the sea stories: my life in special operations summary of U.S. Special Operations community, it ’ s long on and! Often mor life of a career Navy SEAL ” topics Operations ” as want to read very little about methodology. Buy a cheap copy of Sea stories: my life in Special book. Remind me that freedom is n't free end of the community would have made the! I anticipated and recommended it to my husband and many friends DATE: May,., so well written, and President Obama with equal respect, and cited specific and! Things to say about everyone he served with great distinction in the military episodic not... And it was like a wire garrote, strangling me as i n't. Often military training is often mor freedom is n't free is about the virtue of making your Bed: things! Only read about in the Navy as an Admiral of the University of Texas System form it... A fast-paced, enthralling account of the book, McRaven retired from the `` your... Me proud of America and helped remind me that freedom is n't free a wide array topics. Rating book is an extraordinary man and an Admiral of the killing of bin Laden about stories... I now have someone to blame stories, but McRaven successfully rallied the budding commandos throughout raid...